Data Analysis Assignment
You are responsible for an analysis of the profitability of the specific industry identified in your Section’s Data
Set. Your Data Set can be found within your associated Evaluations folder, under Data Analysis Assignment.
For this assignment you are required to:
1. Organize the data in various ways as necessary to understand the trends. Be sure to create various
worksheets to showcase your analysis at each stage. More details on how to Organize and Analyze can be
2. Analyze the data. Your analysis should outline the trends that are occurring and identify any relationships
found in the data.
3. Identify which category/segment you consider to be most successful, and provide rationale based on the
4. Determine what the better predictor of success is based on the data.
5. Provide a forecast for 2023 which will include what you think the gross sales will be, and what Brand will
be the leader in the market, based on your analysis.
This assignment will be completed individually.
Step 1: Organizing and analyzing
The first step is to organize the data, so that you can analyze it and identify trends. You will organize the
data using an Excel workbook; remember as noted above your Data Set is available on eConestoga under
Evaluations > Data Analysis Assignment.
To help in your analysis, consider the following tips:
1) You will want to use separate worksheets to organize the data into various segments. Be sure to include
(a) Profit by Studio
(b) Sales and Market Share by Studio
(c) Market and Segments
(d) Profit to Sales Ratio by Studio
(e) Gross Sales
(f) Audience vs. Rotten Tomatoes
(g) Profit to Sales by Movie
2) Calculate the market share of each studio, and the segment share of each genre. This should be done for
3) Calculate the relevant trends; this will include growth/decline of sales, of profit, of market share and of
segment share. Trends must be calculated year by year (e.g. how much did sales increase year over
a) Trends based on $ (eg sales) are best indicated by % change, not by $ value (eg $32,600 sales to
$33,000 is a 1.2% increase).
b) Trends based on % (eg market share, segment share) are best indicated by point change (eg
difference from one year to the next; 32.6 % share to 33.0% share is a .4 increase).
c) Analyze trends overall (profit, sales), and also by genre and studio.
4) Be sure to use pivot tables to help you identify trends. For example, using pivot tables to evaluate the
relationship between Audience Score and Sales, and Rotten Tomatoes Rating and Sales can be helpful in
determining which is the better predictor of success.
Step 2: Preparing the Report
The report should be no more than 4 pages in length, excluding your appendices (that means 4 pages of
insightful comments). Please ensure that your name, the title of the project and the date are clearly visible
on the Executive Summary.
This assignment will consist of 2 submissions:
1. Your report, as either a Word document or a PowerPoint deck. No pdfs will be accepted.
2. A copy of the Excel file that includes all your organization and manipulation of the data.
NOTE: Assignments must be submitted in both ways, by the beginning of class on the due date. No
assignments will be accepted after the due date/time.
1) Executive Summary1
2) Summary of Key Trends (max 2 pages)
This will be a visual representation of the trends, with some explanatory/descriptive
3) Conclusions (1 page)
This will identify what genre you think is most successful and provide rationale for that. It will
also identify what you think the best predictor of success is, and your rationale for that.
1The Executive Summary should provide a one page visual overview of the key points you have made throughout the report, and
should summarize your conclusions and forecast. This should also include typical cover page information, like student names,
student numbers, title of report, instructor name, due date. This should be professional in appearance, and attractively designed.
2The forecast should be comprehensive and estimate what you think gross sales will be for 2023, including sales by genre and by
3The appendices will include anything you think would be useful to support the Summary of Key Trends and Conclusions. There
must be at least 2 pivot tables included in the appendices, and at least 3 trend calculations. For example, you might include a
graph of the change in Gross Sales, year over year, in the Summary of Key Trends. Then, an Appendix would include the relevant
data table showing the Gross Sales, by year, and the % change.
1. You are expected to use a clear and accurate writing style. Errors (including both spelling and
grammatical) will be noted and the grade for the report will be reduced for excessive errors.
2. Do not include an assessment of any information about these movies other than what is provided in
the data set. Do not do any secondary research. The data is made up and does not represent the
real movie industry, so secondary research and personal opinions will not be relevant.
GET THE WORK DONE AT ESSAYLINK.NET