You are required to work on a linear programming case study. This assessment aims to develop your capability in a hypothetical situation and build your problem-solving and report writing skills for use in the workplace. You will be preparing a technical report to explain your mathematical formulation. Discuss your findings and draw your conclusion and supporting recommendations based on the analysis you have conducted. In addition to reading this assessment brief, please read through the case study presented to you, which is available on the assessment page under Assessment Task 1. Course learning outcomes This assessment is relevant to the following course learning outcomes: CLO1 Analyse and apply the theories and practices of logistics systems in logistics management CLO2 Formulate and propose supply chain and logistics systems solutions to improve the management of logistics and supply management CLO3 Implement mathematical models to solve problems in logistics in contemporary business environment CLO4 Critically reflect your proposed supply chain and logistics solutions in communicating with relevant stakeholders RMIT Classification: Trusted Assessment criteria You will be marked on the following criteria: • Problem Formulation (Word) (6 pts)
• Explanation of how the problem was formulated
• Clearly defines decision variables and explains objective functions and their constraints correctly and clearly
• Problem-Solving (Word & Excel) (6 pts)
• Demonstration of how the model was implemented and how the solution was generated in a step-by-step manner in the report
• Clear evidence of using an Excel spreadsheet to solve the model
• Discussion (Word) (3 pts)
• Discuss the solution to the linear programming model thoroughly by using concepts that were taught in the learning content
• Recommendations (Word) (3 pts)
• Recommendations provided are grounded in the discussion and analysis presented within the report. The recommendations link to improvements in the current state of the situation and explain how in relation to the context feasibility
• Presentation (Word & Excel) (2 pts)
• All report components, such as executive summary, table of content, lists of figures/tables, and references, are present
• General formatting of your report and Excel spreadsheet Assessment details The report requires you to address the case study by using linear programming. You are required to demonstrate your ability to explain how the problem was formulated, define your decision variables, explain your objective function and list the constraints correctly and clearly. You are also required to discuss your solution to the linear programming model using the concepts discussed in the weekly content, by drawing conclusions, and by generating appropriate recommendations based on your analysis for the case study context.
To complete this assessment, you will be able to find the details of the case study on a separate document named Assessment 1 Case Study. You are encouraged to use the concepts discussed in Weeks 1 and 2 to complete this assessment successfully. That is, the topics of Week 1 Linear Programming and sensitivity analysis and Week 2 Network modelling.